Skip to main content

Sample Essay On "In Praise of Idleness" (For My Students)

According to a popular saying, “idle hands do the devil’s work.” What does this saying mean, and does the author of “In Praise of Ideleness” agree with this saying? Summarize and evaluate his argument.

The saying, “idle hands do the devil’s work,” means that if you aren’t doing any work (have “idle hands”), you are actually “working” for the devil. In other words, if you don’t have any work to do, you will spend your time doing bad things. The idea behind the saying is that work is good, and good people are always working. Russell does not agree with this saying. In his essay, “In Praise of Idleness,” he first defines work and then explains why, according to his definition, work is not a good thing. Finally, he imagines how the world might be better if there were less work. In this essay, I will explain what he thinks about work, and then I will give my opinion.
         According to Russell, work is basically moving things from one place to another. For example, building a house would be work, because to build a house, we have to move bricks, wood, and so on. In comparison, studying would not be as much work, because we only have to turn the pages of a book or move a pen on a piece of paper. Based on this definition, we can see why there is nothing good about work. We don’t like to move things unless we need to. We might build a house because we need somewhere to live – but there’s no reason to build a house if we don’t need somewhere to live. Moving things when you do not need to just makes you tired and annoyed.
         Russell believes that as technology becomes more and more advanced, we need to do less and less work. In the past, before we had machines, we had to do work very hard in order to get what we need to live. Today, machines have made our lives much easier – we can get most of the things we need without working very hard. This should have made us happier. However, because of our economy, we still need to work to make money. As new machines are invented, many of us lose our jobs. In the end, some of us still have to work just as hard, while others have no job or money.
Russell thinks we should find a better way. He says that if everyone worked four hours a day, we would be able to produce all the things we need. But we would also have more free time. More free time and less work means we would have more time and energy for our hobbies. This would make everyone happier.
I agree with Russell. We would be happier if we worked less. But I don’t think it will be easy to make this happen. Because of our economy and our society, we will always need to work to make money. Also, if we did not work hard every day, we might become lazy. During summer break, I have no job, but I do not paint or write or dance. Instead, I just spend all day on my computer. Sometimes, I find I work hardest when I’m busiest: it is because I have so little free time that I value my free time so much.

In conclusion, Russell’s idea is interesting, but I do not think it is realistic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self Motivated

I've been doing a little better since I wrote "On Teaching."  I still haven't been applying for jobs. It starts to feel like a lot of effort, and I get very little positive feedback. I don't have a fixed area in which I'm applying -- just feel like I'm submitting applications randomly to schools or whatever position anywhere in the country. I would rather go "on the ground" to a particular office or campus, submit my resume in person to whoever is in charge of the operation, interview the people there. I think I'll be volunteering or substituting -- just trying to get experience and make contacts. I want to make enough money, if I can, but after spending so many years treading water, I'm anxious to see if I can find a way to do  something and not just get paid. -- Part of the reason I've "tread water" is my own lack of motivation, but I don't want to have one more year where I feel like I'm doing something meaningles...

Interpretation: "Leda" by H.D.

Where the slow river meets the tide, a red swan lifts red wings and darker beak, and underneath the purple down of his soft breast uncurls his coral feet. Creature of the sea, made from the deep, Not its darkness where the hundred monsters Sleep but from a deeper still, where pearls And other jewels their corazón await, A depth so clear, so still, Deeper than the deep, about its treasures Clinging like a sheet, edge upon the edge Of what is seen, a flicker and a sweep. This way to emerge! Royally too evident become And darker darkness radiate, to sweep and fly, Ever in the way things underneath Have shown themselves And wear the world as a wreath, Oblivious to any demand, "Why?" Through the deep purple of the dying heat of sun and mist, the level ray of sun-beam has caressed the lily with dark breast, and flecked with richer gold its golden crest. Gold on gold more gilded, on the other hand, recedes Into a darkness and stillness, leads The mi...

The Test and What It Tests

The students here spend (or are supposed to spend) the time that they are not in class studying for TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language).  I asked a student and one of the Chinese English teachers whether they wouldn't learn more English if they used that time to study it in a different way. They could read a novel or watch movies and TV shows in depth (record every line, look up all the words they don't know, watch them until they memorized them). The student didn't have anything much to say. The teacher simply said, flatly (but he always speaks flatly) that it is more useful for them to study TOEFL, because they will go abroad in half a year.  Someone could make a satire out of it: students are more concerned to improve their English score than to improve their English. "There's a correlation -- a rising tide lifts all boats."  If only the instrument were perfectly precise! And couldn't it just as well go the other way? You could spend more ti...