Skip to main content

The Gloaming Blue, the Yellow Springs

悠悠生死別經年, 魂魄不曾來入夢。 臨邛道士鴻都客, 能以精誠致魂魄;為感君王輾轉思, 遂教方士殷勤覓。 排空馭氣奔如電, 升天入地求之遍; 上窮碧落下黃泉, 兩處茫茫皆不見。

Long winding through the years the road that parts his life from death, nor once does her soul enter in his dreams. A bonze from Lingong comes to Hongdu as a guest -- his the capacity through faith to reach the souls. As passion wrecks the Lord King's thoughts, he asks that mage to make painstaking search. He volleys to the sky and riding wind like lightning flies. He ascends to heaven, penetrates to earth -- and everywhere extends his search, above exhausting gloaming blue, and golden springs, below -- boundlessly in every place, but nowhere is she seen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self Motivated

I've been doing a little better since I wrote "On Teaching."  I still haven't been applying for jobs. It starts to feel like a lot of effort, and I get very little positive feedback. I don't have a fixed area in which I'm applying -- just feel like I'm submitting applications randomly to schools or whatever position anywhere in the country. I would rather go "on the ground" to a particular office or campus, submit my resume in person to whoever is in charge of the operation, interview the people there. I think I'll be volunteering or substituting -- just trying to get experience and make contacts. I want to make enough money, if I can, but after spending so many years treading water, I'm anxious to see if I can find a way to do  something and not just get paid. -- Part of the reason I've "tread water" is my own lack of motivation, but I don't want to have one more year where I feel like I'm doing something meaningles...

Interpretation: "Leda" by H.D.

Where the slow river meets the tide, a red swan lifts red wings and darker beak, and underneath the purple down of his soft breast uncurls his coral feet. Creature of the sea, made from the deep, Not its darkness where the hundred monsters Sleep but from a deeper still, where pearls And other jewels their corazón await, A depth so clear, so still, Deeper than the deep, about its treasures Clinging like a sheet, edge upon the edge Of what is seen, a flicker and a sweep. This way to emerge! Royally too evident become And darker darkness radiate, to sweep and fly, Ever in the way things underneath Have shown themselves And wear the world as a wreath, Oblivious to any demand, "Why?" Through the deep purple of the dying heat of sun and mist, the level ray of sun-beam has caressed the lily with dark breast, and flecked with richer gold its golden crest. Gold on gold more gilded, on the other hand, recedes Into a darkness and stillness, leads The mi...

The Test and What It Tests

The students here spend (or are supposed to spend) the time that they are not in class studying for TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language).  I asked a student and one of the Chinese English teachers whether they wouldn't learn more English if they used that time to study it in a different way. They could read a novel or watch movies and TV shows in depth (record every line, look up all the words they don't know, watch them until they memorized them). The student didn't have anything much to say. The teacher simply said, flatly (but he always speaks flatly) that it is more useful for them to study TOEFL, because they will go abroad in half a year.  Someone could make a satire out of it: students are more concerned to improve their English score than to improve their English. "There's a correlation -- a rising tide lifts all boats."  If only the instrument were perfectly precise! And couldn't it just as well go the other way? You could spend more ti...