Skip to main content

Style

I read through my writing yesterday and noticed a verbal tic: I overuse the words "certainly" and "of course."  Have to cut back.  I have a lot of "theses" or "claims" -- an interesting way to frame a topic, but I need to make them into a starting point for further research and not just prop them up with bluster and a few probabilities(*).

(*)Sometimes in online discussions, B asks for statistics after A makes some claim -- when in fact A has provided an argument why the claim is probable that ought to have been addressed.  Calls for evidence might mean nothing more than this, that the argument has not been expressed in the correct or else the expected form(**).  It's always easier to shift the focus to form when you're at a loss how to dispute the content.

(**)Criticisms of grammar also become merely formal -- especially when the criticisms focus on spelling.  The distinction between "there" and "their" in writing is a formality when there is no distinction between them in speech (homonyms) and because there is rarely any danger of misunderstanding.  We always get hung up on the violation of some custom or other: all spelling is custom and a lot of grammar besides! -- forgetting the magic of spelling itself, that marvelous device by means of which we represent the sounds of our words as we hear them. Someone who "misspells" words always but accurately represents what they are to his ear no doubt possesses more of the science of spelling than someone who has learned to produce every word as it is customarily spelled by rote -- because the former thinks when he spells his words.  And grammar -- for instance, "who" and "whom," or "he" and "they"?  Custom is king.  "But we lose valuable distinctions!" -- And make them, too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self Motivated

I've been doing a little better since I wrote "On Teaching."  I still haven't been applying for jobs. It starts to feel like a lot of effort, and I get very little positive feedback. I don't have a fixed area in which I'm applying -- just feel like I'm submitting applications randomly to schools or whatever position anywhere in the country. I would rather go "on the ground" to a particular office or campus, submit my resume in person to whoever is in charge of the operation, interview the people there. I think I'll be volunteering or substituting -- just trying to get experience and make contacts. I want to make enough money, if I can, but after spending so many years treading water, I'm anxious to see if I can find a way to do  something and not just get paid. -- Part of the reason I've "tread water" is my own lack of motivation, but I don't want to have one more year where I feel like I'm doing something meaningles...

Interpretation: "Leda" by H.D.

Where the slow river meets the tide, a red swan lifts red wings and darker beak, and underneath the purple down of his soft breast uncurls his coral feet. Creature of the sea, made from the deep, Not its darkness where the hundred monsters Sleep but from a deeper still, where pearls And other jewels their corazón await, A depth so clear, so still, Deeper than the deep, about its treasures Clinging like a sheet, edge upon the edge Of what is seen, a flicker and a sweep. This way to emerge! Royally too evident become And darker darkness radiate, to sweep and fly, Ever in the way things underneath Have shown themselves And wear the world as a wreath, Oblivious to any demand, "Why?" Through the deep purple of the dying heat of sun and mist, the level ray of sun-beam has caressed the lily with dark breast, and flecked with richer gold its golden crest. Gold on gold more gilded, on the other hand, recedes Into a darkness and stillness, leads The mi...

The Test and What It Tests

The students here spend (or are supposed to spend) the time that they are not in class studying for TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language).  I asked a student and one of the Chinese English teachers whether they wouldn't learn more English if they used that time to study it in a different way. They could read a novel or watch movies and TV shows in depth (record every line, look up all the words they don't know, watch them until they memorized them). The student didn't have anything much to say. The teacher simply said, flatly (but he always speaks flatly) that it is more useful for them to study TOEFL, because they will go abroad in half a year.  Someone could make a satire out of it: students are more concerned to improve their English score than to improve their English. "There's a correlation -- a rising tide lifts all boats."  If only the instrument were perfectly precise! And couldn't it just as well go the other way? You could spend more ti...