Skip to main content

Mole-Hills

I keep waking up late -- 10:30 or 11:00.  My husband gets up at 7:30 every morning to work and asks me to make a sandwich, but I'm too tired.  I end up grumbling at him in bed for a few minutes before he gives up, but I don't fall properly back to sleep until he leaves.  I'm too much awake to fall right back to sleep, but I don't have enough energy to actually get up.  So then I wake up much later and the day's gone.  As I was dozing this morning, I thought of Confucius' remonstrance against Zi Lu for sleeping during the day: "Rotten wood can't be carved.  A mud wall can't be plastered."  What an optimistic view of human nature!  Or at least of education.  But we're stuck in the grooves habit has laid down for us -- which having been laid down, it's very hard for us to switch tracks.

As for grooves -- I've learned that the exercise regime I've been trying to lay in place for myself is called "greasing the groove."  The idea came from a neuro-scientist: training muscles is partly a matter of "knowing" (subconsciously) how to move them, and knowing comes from frequent practice rather than exhaustion.  To lift something, you have to have the strength to lift it, but you also have to know how to get your muscles to coordinate with themselves and each other -- and that's what "greasing the groove" is designed to accomplish.  It helps build endurance.  You do the same exercise in small bursts (not to exhaustion) over and over again throughout the day.  A philosophy for those of weak will!  I can never bring myself to do anything big -- my only hope is that I can force myself to expend minimal effort again and again and again.  My whole aim in life is to make mountains out of those mole-hills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self Motivated

I've been doing a little better since I wrote "On Teaching."  I still haven't been applying for jobs. It starts to feel like a lot of effort, and I get very little positive feedback. I don't have a fixed area in which I'm applying -- just feel like I'm submitting applications randomly to schools or whatever position anywhere in the country. I would rather go "on the ground" to a particular office or campus, submit my resume in person to whoever is in charge of the operation, interview the people there. I think I'll be volunteering or substituting -- just trying to get experience and make contacts. I want to make enough money, if I can, but after spending so many years treading water, I'm anxious to see if I can find a way to do  something and not just get paid. -- Part of the reason I've "tread water" is my own lack of motivation, but I don't want to have one more year where I feel like I'm doing something meaningles...

Interpretation: "Leda" by H.D.

Where the slow river meets the tide, a red swan lifts red wings and darker beak, and underneath the purple down of his soft breast uncurls his coral feet. Creature of the sea, made from the deep, Not its darkness where the hundred monsters Sleep but from a deeper still, where pearls And other jewels their corazón await, A depth so clear, so still, Deeper than the deep, about its treasures Clinging like a sheet, edge upon the edge Of what is seen, a flicker and a sweep. This way to emerge! Royally too evident become And darker darkness radiate, to sweep and fly, Ever in the way things underneath Have shown themselves And wear the world as a wreath, Oblivious to any demand, "Why?" Through the deep purple of the dying heat of sun and mist, the level ray of sun-beam has caressed the lily with dark breast, and flecked with richer gold its golden crest. Gold on gold more gilded, on the other hand, recedes Into a darkness and stillness, leads The mi...

The Test and What It Tests

The students here spend (or are supposed to spend) the time that they are not in class studying for TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language).  I asked a student and one of the Chinese English teachers whether they wouldn't learn more English if they used that time to study it in a different way. They could read a novel or watch movies and TV shows in depth (record every line, look up all the words they don't know, watch them until they memorized them). The student didn't have anything much to say. The teacher simply said, flatly (but he always speaks flatly) that it is more useful for them to study TOEFL, because they will go abroad in half a year.  Someone could make a satire out of it: students are more concerned to improve their English score than to improve their English. "There's a correlation -- a rising tide lifts all boats."  If only the instrument were perfectly precise! And couldn't it just as well go the other way? You could spend more ti...